Ricardo EE (2015): Implementing the Paris Climate Agreement. Turning Action Plans into Achievement
By the end of the 21st Conference of the Parties (COP21) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) in Paris in December 2015, nations from around the world will have made a collective commitment to limit the increase in global temperatures to less than 2°C.
They will also have set out their own contributions in the form of targets, policies and actions, framed as Intended Nationally Determined Contributions (INDCs) submitted prior to the COP. While the aggregate impact of these INDCs is unlikely to meet the agreed temperature limit, all countries will share a common goal – transforming their climate action plans into results. However, committing to plans is easier than acting on them. And the hardest part of all is achieving them. How should countries ensure they have the best chance of turning their commitments not only into action, but also into achievement?
Ahead of COP21 in Paris Ricardo Energy & Environment has supported over 15 countries, with a combined population of more than 500 million, in preparing their climate action plans.
In this paper, our International Director, Chris Dodwell, describes five essential pillars of implementation which will maximise the chance of turning commitment and action into what countries, and the planet, really want – achievement of their climate goals.
You can download the full document here.
- Mitigation Momentum (2015): NAMAs and INDCs. Interactions and opportunities
- Flyer: Partnership on Transparency in the Paris Agreement
- CCAP, UNEP-DTU, New Climate Institute (2016): Designing NAMAs to catalyze bankable low-carbon investments
- Grantham Research Institute (2016): Beyond the targets: assessing the political credibility of pledges for the Paris Agreement
- Mitigation Partnership & Global INDC Support Programme Webinar: Linking NAMAs and INDCs
- Cool Contributions fighting Climate Change
- Creation of an overarching framework for NAMAs and MRV in Viet Nam
- Sri Lanka: NAMA on eBRT Systems of Colombo
- Development and Management of NAMAs in India
- Developing Capacities for Alignment with the EU Climate Targets in the Eastern Partnership Countries (EaP Climate)