Asian Regional Workshop: Tracking Mitigation Actions in Asia
The Department of Environmental Affairs of the Republic of Korea, together with the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV, hosted the Asian Regional Workshop “Tracking Mitigation Actions in Asia”. It took place July 8-11 in Seoul, Republic of Korea, with participants from Bhutan, China, Indonesia, Japan, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
The Asian Regional Workshop provided a unique opportunity for Asian countries to benefit from the knowledge base of the International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV by sharing experiences and expert inputs that equiped the participating countries with relevant information and approaches for MRV of mitigation actions in Asia. It aimed at forming a basis for further consultation among the Asian countries over the next months and years. It helped countries to identify remaining gaps in their mitigation policies and thereby also facilitated the collaboration of the Asian countries in the international negotiations. At the same time, national interests in sustainable development and international collaboration on transforming economies were fostered.
Selected presentations are available below and the workshop can be accessed in the download section on the right.
Presentations - Day 1
- Ranping Song (World Resources Intitute): Background and Overview of MRV and UNFCCC Requirements
- Yéwon Kim (Greenhouse Gas Inventory Research Centre of Korea): Challenges and strengths in national institutional systems for responding to the reporting requirements of the UNFCCC
- Takako Ono (The Institute of Global Environmental Strategies): One Hundred Questions & Answers about MRV in Developing Countries
- Yue Qi (National Center for Climate Change Strategy and International Cooperation): Challenges and strengths in developing GHG inventories
- Ranping Song (World Resources Intitute): Content and challenges in development of a national MRV system
Presentations - Day 2
- Albert Magalang (Climate Change Office): The Philippine NAMA Process and its linkage to the MRV System
- Sudhir Sharma (UNEP DTU Partnership): MRV OF NAMAs - Quantification and Verification of
GHG impacts of Mitigation Actions
- Natthanich Asvapoositkul (Office of Natural Resources and Environmental Policy and Planning): Thailand experiences on challenges faced when developing NAMA
- Dr. Alexander Fisher (German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety): The International Partnership on Mitigation and MRV’s objectives and opportunities for supporting Capacity Building