GIZ (2014): Biennial Update Report Template
The GIZ Biennial Update Report Template is the second knowledge product from the Information Matters Project. It is intended to guide non-Annex I Parties in the preparation of Biennial Update Reports (BURs), thereby enabling those Parties to submit transparent as well as ambitious BURs. The template sets out a proposed report structure as well as guidance on the presentation of information, including use of tables. It contains guiding questions to assist in the drafting and structuring of each of the chapters and includes cross-references to the relevant sections of the “UNFCCC biennial update reporting guidelines for Parties not included in Annex I to the Convention” (Annex III of UNFCCC decision 2/CP.17.). The detailed requirements of these guidelines are presented in an Annex to this template, indicating also where in this template each requirement is addressed. This document is not an official UNFCCC publication nor is it endorsed by the UNFCCC. The guidance contained within it is not mandatory and, in order to encourage ambitious reporting, goes in some parts beyond the requirements.
The aim of the Information Matters project is to strengthen the in-country capacity for ambitious reporting in the four partner countries Chile, Dominican Republic, Ghana and the Philippines. In consultation with the partners, tailored capacity building workshops and backstopping activities have been designed to address the specific needs and priorities of the MRV systems. Through knowledge products like this GIZ Biennial Update Report Template the lessons learnt are shared with interested countries. The project is part of the International Climate Initiative (ICI) of the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety (BMUB).
Direct Project Link:
- Factsheet IM Philippines
- Factsheet IM Dominican Republic
- UNFCCC Infographic on MRV for Developed Countries (2014): Evolution of the MRV Framework in Developed Countries
- UNFCCC Infographic on MRV for Developing Countries (2014): Evolution of the MRV Framework in Developing Countries
- GIZ (2016): Summary report of the first phase of the project
- Information Matters: Capacity Building for Ambitious Reporting and Facilitation of International Mutual Learning through Peer-to Peer Exchange
- Development of Integrated Monitoring Systems for REDD-plus in SADC Countries
- Capacity building on monitoring, reporting and verification of GHG emissions and actions in developing countries
- Building Capacity to Establish National Greenhouse Gas Inventories for the Forestry Sector
- Greenhouse Gas Monitoring in China