Capacity Development for Green House Gas Inventory and MRV in Tunisia
Tunisia is developing a National Climate Strategy aiming to reduce GHG emissions and at the same time responding effectively to the threats posed by climate change.
Key feature of the strategy will be the „Plan Solaire Tunisien“ (PST), including 40 projects in all sectors which have implications on the national emission balance. The PST is designed as an unilateral and internationally supported National Appropriate Mitigation Action (NAMA) with the objective of promoting renewable energies and enhancing energy efficiency.
The Tunesian Government has announced the ambition to evaluate its mitigation activities according to internationally recognised methods. Thus, the establishement of a corporate national measurement, reporting and verification (MRV) system is a crucial element of the Tunesian Climate Strategy.
The project aims at assisting the Tunisian activities to compile a national MRV system. Therefore, it seeks to
- facilitate the establishment of a solid GHG inventory applied according to the UNFCCC regulatory.
- contribute to the development and implementation of an MRV pilot in the Tunisian solar programme.
GIZ is carrying out the project in cooperation with the Tunisian Industry Ministry (Ministére de l’Industrie et de la Technologie – MIT). The National Energy Agency (Agence Nationale de la Maîtrise de l’Energie - ANME) will manage the implementation at operational scale. As the UNFCCC focal point, the Tunisian Environmental Ministry (Ministère de l’Environnement et du Développement Durable - MEDD) is a closely associated partner.
The project comprises measures in the following areas:
- Development of a national GHG Inventory
- Development of a MRV system for the Tunisian Solar Plan
- Capacity Building for the relevant institutions
- Assisting the Tunisians delegations with international negotiations and events
The project is supported in the framework of the International Climate Initiative (ICI) of the German Environment Ministry.
NAMA / MA
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (Germany - GIZ)
Federal Ministry for the Environment (Germany - BMU)
2 million EUR
September 2012 - January 2016
- WI (2011): Current Developments in Pilot Nationally Appropriate Mitigation Actions of Developing Countries (NAMAs)
- GIZ, BAPPENAS (2012): Background study: Development of the Indonesian NAMA Framework
- GIZ (2015): ProNAMA: best practices, challenges and future prospects
- GIZ (2017): Briefing series on sectoral implementation of nationally determined contributions (NDCs)
- GIZ (2017): Guidance note on how to design transformational mitigation projects. A checklist for project developers and managers